Choosing the Right Cement Tile
This helpful guide identifies which cement tiles are the best choice based on your project requirements or limits. Take a minute and jot down answers to these three questions. Your answers need to be realistic and honest. It will save you time and allow us to help provide options that meet your needs.
- Time - When do you need the tiles?
- Budget - How much you are willing to spend on the tiles?
- Application Where to you plan to use the tile (i.e., outdoor patio, kitchen backsplash).
Standard Delivery of Cement Tile
You can expect to receive your cement tiles six to eight weeks after you place an order with us. Some lead times have been extended to 10 - 12 weeks. The delivery window allows time for the manufacture of your handmade tiles, freight transit time from the factory to a US Port, US Customs inspection and clearance, and delivery from our warehouse to your home. Because of the unique, handmade manufacturing process, it is very easy to substitute or change the colors used on any pattern. This makes cement tile very versatile, allowing you to create a custom-colored tile design that is truly yours. Cement tiles are the first choice of many architects and designers that need to create a unique look in different color palettes. Because cement tile are are so versatile and easily customized, you won't find a lot of inventory or stock.
Choose our Stocked Cement Tile for Quick Delivery
If you need your tiles right away, you'll need to limit your selection to inventory that we currently have available from our In Stock Cement Tile. Remember, just because we stock a tile, that doesn't mean it's always in stock when you need it. Please call us to confirm availability and discuss options.
Typical Milestone Schedules for Cement Tile Projects
You should allow 6 - 8 weeks for for manufacture and delivery of made-to-order cement tile. However, if you want to customize, substitute colors or create your own patterns you'll need more time. To help you decide if your schedule can accommodate customization, use these milestone schedules for planning. Generally, these tasks can't be completed in parallel because each step needs to be completed before starting the next. For instance, you need to finalize a pattern before we start building the mold for that pattern.
Color Substitutions. Add 1 - 2 weeks for color substitutions. If you want to use colors other than those shown in our product catalog, you'll need to purchase a color chip set in the lines color palette. Allow one week to receive your color chip set and one week to review/finalize your color choices.
Virtual Designs. Add 1 - 2 weeks for virtual designs. Virtual designs or mock-ups are created to help visualize different colorways and finalize a design before creating a strike-off sample. Virtual designs are created digitally using the pattern's line drawing and color chip scans to render a life-like design.
Custom Patterns. Add 2 - 3 weeks for custom pattern development. If we don't have a pattern or can't find it in our extensive pattern library, our designers can work with you to define and refine a pattern. The process begins with black and white pattern outlines and ends with a full-color rendering of your desig
Custom Mold. Add 2 - 3 weeks for a custom mold to be made, if not using an existing pattern that has a mold in the size required.
Strike-off Samples. Add 2 - 3 weeks for strike-off samples to be made and delivered via air freight. A strike-off is recommended when you substitute colors on an existing pattern or create your own pattern or custom color. It's just good sense to see a sample before you place a full-order.
Cement tiles usually can't be expedited for a surcharge. Because of the size and weight, full-orders can't be shipped via air.
Costs of Handmade Concrete Tile
If you want to use cement tile, you should budget and plan accordingly. Prices for the tile will start at $9 per sq. ft. for plain or solid color unpolished tile in an 8"x8" format. Patterned tile generally start at about $12 per sq. ft. to $15 per sq. ft. and can reach $20 per sq. ft. for 8"x8" tiles.
These costs do not include custom patterns, molds, custom colors, and color substitution. And, they do not include the cost of freight. Freight on small orders (less than 100 sq. ft.) may run as much as the tiles; but, typically ranges from 10% to 20% of the total order.
Tips for Getting More Cement Tile at the Best PriceThese tips will reduce the costs per square foot of any cement tile job:
- Place a single, large order for all your tiles at once (i.e., order your fireplace and kitchen floor tiles at the same time).
- Choose tiles from only one manufacturer (i.e., Mission, Heritage, or Classic).
- Limit the use of patterned tile by make a rug with solid color tiles framed in a patterned border tile. Or, create medallions or groupings of four patterned tiles separated by a 'grid' or row of solid color tiles.
- Limit customization and work with patterns in standard colorways or in-stock tiles.
Where can you use Concrete TileCement tiles can be used just about everywhere with the right sealer to protect it. However, you generally can't use cement tile in areas subjected to hard freeze/thaw cycles; however, the following cement tiles are rated for these cycles:
Cement Tile Customization Options by Lines
The list below should help you find which lines are the best choice based on your schedule, budget, and use. You can also see which color palettes can be used with each line, finish options, what's stocked and typical lead times and costs for samples (strike-offs) and full orders. This guide should help you find the best options for your need. But, it get's confusing. So, don't be afraid to call and discuss your questions with our experienced cement tile staff.
Mission Tiles: Lead Time, Availability, Costs
- Formats: Plain, Pattern, Square, Hexagon, Octagon, Arabesque, Molding
- Collection: Mission Collection
- Color Substitutions: Yes
- Palette: Mission Color Palette
- Color Chips:
- Finish: Raw
- Pre-sealed: Yes
- Stocked: Yes, Many plain and pattern tiles are stocked at the factory
- Lead Time for Stock: 2 - 3 weeks
- Lead Time for Custom: 6 - 8 weeks
- Strike-offs: 2 - 3 weeks, $150 - $200 for four (4) 8"x8" tiles
- Minimum Order: No. There is a +20% surcharge for orders less than 100 sq. ft.
- Box Quantity: Order in full-box quantity (x12) only
Classic Tiles: Lead Time, Availability, Costs
- Formats: Plain, Pattern, Square, Hexagon, Molding
- Collections: Classic Collection
- Color Substitutions: Yes
- Palette: Classic Color Palette
- Color Chips: Loose 2"x2" Chips
- Finish: Raw
- Pre-sealed: No
- Stocked: Yes, some plain and pattern tiles are stocked in Los Angeles, CA
- Lead Time for Stock: 1 - 2 weeks
- Lead Time for Custom: 8 - 10 weeks
- Strike-offs: 2 - 3 weeks, $400 - $500 for four (4) 8"x8" tiles
- Minimum Order: Yes. 50 sq. ft. (stock); 100 sq. ft. (custom)
- Box Quantity: Order in full-box quantity (x10) only